Friday, March 13, 2015

Spring

The Spring came to us a bit early this year!  Just saying those words makes me nervous though because out here we could be looking at a big snow storm at the end of April.  But the last week or so, almost all the snow has melted away quickly and we have tried to enjoy as much time outside as we could. That is probably the most fun thing about living here in the tundra - you get to watch everything and everyone around you "wake up" and almost like you're feeling the warmth and sunshine for the first time.  Everyone was outside the past few days and yesterday we even sat out on the deck for a bit until the sun went down.  We never get weather like that at the beginning of March and it sure is a treat for us and something you do not want to waste.  I have been taking walks outside during my lunch break while listening to my pandora stations and I really enjoy that.  It makes me think of my walking buddy I had in the Cities where I worked, just how precious that time was for me. For now it's just me by myself but my new boss joins me sometimes and we have great talks about our kids, life, work and everything in between.  She is great and I feel very blessed to be working for her.

I of course was watching the weather forecast like a hawk two weeks ago because I was determined to go skiing with the kids one time this winter and with the warmer weather coming that was fast closing in on us.  Last weekend I just looked at the closest skiing hill's web site and saw they had a special cheaper rate that Sunday afternoon so I told Ehren it is our only chance this year.  So we did it!  We packed up the kids and Kade's friend and went for it. I was able to schedule a first lesson for Kason and Anika since they have never skied before and I don't think I'm any good at teaching it.  I was surprised at how well they both did, the weather was perfect and we all had such a good time. Ehren didn't ski this time because we didn't know how long Kason and Anika would last but they both skied until the end. Kason was a little cruiser and had absolutely no fear which really helped him figure it out quickly. I was wishing we had more time to keep going with him but for the first time ever it was enough time.  Kade and his friend were having fun too and were just cruising down the hills by themselves so I was glad they had each other while I skied with Kason and Ani.  Growing up, we went skiing almost every winter and I forget just how much it is a part of my childhood and how much I miss it.  It is definitely one of the few things in life that I miss dearly from my home country.  Now I just have to suck it up, freeze and go cross country skiing instead of downhill. :)  It is very different but I am learning to enjoy it and pretend I'm in the mountains.









Tonight we had a fun little group date with 2 of our couples friends.  We went bowling and out for ice cream. It was just lovely to get together, leave the kids home (and without a sitter!) and enjoy some time out with friends.  Another thing that made me think how we need more of it in our lives.  It is so easy to get busy with our stuff and just blow friends off because it's too much work to find a time that works for everyone.  But I am realizing that making the effort of organizing, inviting people and doing stuff with them is so worth it.  One of those friends tonight just found out yesterday that the cancer she battled years ago is back.  It should be treatable but it is still a huge turmoil of emotions and why's.  I am the first one to admit that I always feel like I don't have the right words to say to the people around me, the right words to encourage or lift their spirits.  But sometimes you don't need words. Sometimes just being there is enough, being a friend and do normal things like a bowling date. Because none of us know how much time we have left here.      

1 comment:

  1. Esti teším sa, že sa vám to podarilo. Aj Marcelovci mali super počasie, lyžovali do zblnutia, aj malá Tamarka.

    ReplyDelete